The final week of meetings will go over introductory material on elliptic curves from Milne’s book
Read the introduction about some of the uses of elliptic curves (including sphere packings and cryptography!)
pages 5-6 should be review.
- Read the definition of a nonsingular curve.
- Work example 1.5 to get a test for a Weierstrass polynomial to define a nonsingular curve.
- Read Prop 1.8 on intersection numbers.
- Read up through page 11 completing the section on intersection numbers
- Review projective plane curves, translating what Milne does back into the language of Proj(S.).
- Learn the statement of Bezout’s theorem.